Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It's Great to 'Hear' Good News!

This morning Joseph had his ABR hearing test, and the results came back wonderfully! The results from the ABR confirmed there is normal hearing in both ears! No hearing loss was found, as once was a concern (posted in this blog) of the audiologist at Kosair Children's Hospital.

We started out bright and early...actually before it came 'bright' (7am!)...and made our way to the sedation area within the hospital. Joseph was not ready to go back to sleep, but reacted to the sedation medicine as predicted. Within 20-25 minutes, and after restyling my hair, saying "down" repeatedly, kicking and squirming, the medicine got the upper hand in order for the ABR to be performed. Despite the resistance to sleep, I took great pleasure in holding and rocking him to sleep. I was reminded of the days in his nursery when he was a wee one.... Oh, I digress!

Once completely asleep, I carried him down the hallway to the audiologist department, where the ABR was completed in 45 minutes or so. I was right there when Joseph woke up...He was in a groggy and good mood, and was thirsty. The anesthesiologist gave him some Sprite in a sippy cup to make sure he could swallow without trouble, and all was a green light for our little boy! He LOVED the Sprite, which I thought would be a special treat over apple juice or water.

Joseph was still unsteady on his feet when we got home. He wasn't ready to take a nap right away, although he was still weak. He finished his Sprite and ate a small pack of pudding while cozied up on the sofa watching Little Bear. His blue hat made it all better!



I'm so thankful that there is no hearing loss. I know this is small potatoes for those parents who have children with greater struggles. I just feel like our little boy has overcome enough already! And, I'm so glad I no longer have to worry about the possibility of hearing aides or ear tissue damage!

He's taking a great nap right now, which is what I hoped for. Sleeping off the medicine is the best way to get it out of the system.

Here's to healthy hearing while waiting for him to wake up so I can smother him with hugs and kisses!!!

xoxoxoxox

3 comments:

Bach family said...

Sarah,
That is wonderful news. Go Joseph!
Emily and I had a wonderful time with you guys last week. Time always goes by so fast. We will have to do that again.
Susanne

Leslie said...

what great news! I know that hearing tests are no fun! I can't imagine having to go through that with sedation!!
poor guy- glad you got good news though!

Lacey said...

Yay for Joseph & his completely healthy ears! Definitely a reason to celebrate! That boy is amazing, isn't he? When you *really* sit & think about where he started.....it's just AMAZING!